Saturday, January 21, 2012

My short story

As I mentioned in one of my last posts, my friend, Melissa, enrolled me in an online writing class for my birthday. In the class we are given 2 assignments a week. The assignments are "handed out" every Wednesday and Friday. Friday gave us our first writing assignment.

The instructor gave us 5 sentences. Our instructions were to pick one of those sentences and begin our story with the one we chose. The story had to be no more than 300 words and had to have a twist at the end. I wanted to share my story with y'all! Here it is. It's called One Day in Paris.

Looking at Paris in this light was breath taking. Standing at the top of the Eiffel Tower, watching Paris’s nightlife hustle and bustle below me, I replayed in my mind the amazing day I had had up to this point.

My husband, Daniel, and I were celebrating our fifth wedding anniversary. Throughout our marriage, we had taken smaller trips, quick little getaways. We decided we needed to go bigger for our fifth anniversary.

We had arrived at our hotel midmorning. After a quick trip to our room to drop off our bags, freshen up a bit, and exclaim over the swanky amenities, we hit the cobblestone walkways to explore this beautiful area. We wanted to see it all and we wanted to see it now!

“Where should we head first, Penny? Daniel asked.

“To the Arc de Triomphe,” I decided. “The one thing I ask is that we save the Eiffel Tower for night time. I want to be able to see the city lit up at night.”

“That sounds perfect to me,” Daniel replied.

From the Arc de Triomphe, our sightseeing around Paris took us here, there, and everywhere. Each landmark seemed to be more wonderful than the last. I even got to do a little shopping in some of the boutiques we came across. As the sun set over the city, we headed to the Eiffel Tower.

Once we reached the top of the Eiffel Tower, hand in hand, Daniel and I looked out over Paris.

“This has been the perfect day,” I said with a sigh.

“Yes, it has,” Daniel agreed. “What do you say we head back to the hotel? We’ve got a lot more of the Vegas strip to check out tomorrow.”

2 comments:

  1. Groan. I was expecting him to tell you that he was gay or something.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Damn it! Now THAT would've been a twist. Next time I write a story with a twist, I'll collaborate with you.

    ReplyDelete