Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Oops, I did it again

Damn it. I never learn. Never.

I. Do. Not. Like. Running.  When the zombie apocalypse hits, I'm going to need guns with lots of ammo and pray that none of the zombies coming after me are of the sprinter variety, because if that plan fails... I think I can get use to eating brains.

Now that we've established that running and I are BFFs, guess what I've gone and done. Yep, I've signed up for another long distance race. Here, let me refresh your memory on my thoughts on running and me surviving that shit. By the way - I don't get a kick ass medal from this race.

In my defense this new race is NOT a half marathon. It's "only" 10 miles. Also it's around the Pentagon. So, how cool is that? Right? I suppose I can forfeit the medal for the sites I'll see. Maybe. [Note to self, demand that the Hubster make me a medal. Because I need one.]

Let me explain. In 2009 some friends of ours told hubby and me about the Army Ten Miler race in/around Virginia and DC. At that time hubby and I weren't even doing 5Ks, much less half marathons, so 10 miles sounded daunting (still does, actually). While we thought about doing it (we had a handful of months to start training), we bowed out gracefully because the race was the weekend before my black belt test in Tae Kwon Do. Besides not wanting to have 2 weekends in a row filled with ass-kicking, the fees for both my test and the race (plus gas, hotel accommodations, kenneling our dogs, etc, etc) kinda stopped us too.

Every year since then, those same friends would tell us about the race - either that the race was coming up or stories about how awesome the race had been that year. I got it in my head that I wanted to do this race. Not to mention, I sorta owe it to my father's memory and in honor of my brother. Dad retired from the Army and my bro enlisted for a couple of years before getting a medical discharge. So, obviously, the Army has a special place in my heart.

From visiting the website, I saw that registration would be open to the general public at 12:01am EST on May 15th. A few weeks ago, they had a special early registration for military folks (active and veterans) and for people who had done this race at least 7 times (2012 is the 28th year of this race, by the way). From that early registration, the number of registered participants was already up to 10,500. Only 30,000 can sign up. Our friends had told us that if we ever wanted to register of this race, we needed to be on the ball about doing so, because it sells out FAST.

So, being the anxious person that I am, I suggested to Jason that we stay up Monday night and register for this race, rather than wait until a decent hour on Tuesday. He agreed to my plan. And I'm glad we did. That race was sold out before 11:00am!!

So, it's time to step up my Crossfit classes and get my hard-core training on. I've got 5 months to get ready for another race.

6 comments:

  1. Don't you mean you're glad I stayed up while you passed out on the couch. And then when midnight came it took me 3 tries to get your ass up. Hell i was half way thru registering myself before you sat up looking all lost and confused.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, is THAT what happened? I distinctly remember being alert all the way up until after we had registered. As for the "lost and confused" look - my argument there is that I ALWAYS look that way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Whatever helps you sleep at night. Which by the way you seem to have no problem doing. HA!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did last night. Tell me, did you finally cough up that damn lung???

      Delete
  4. From reading the beginning of this where you mentioned zombies I thought about the "run for your life" race where zombies (I don't think they are real) chase you. Seems like a fun race. Glen did it last year. You and Jason should totally do that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've heard of that one! We want to do that, but alas, have not been able to... yet. I'm actually trying to decide if I COULD handle it because I hate to be chased. Did Glen survive or did he come home a zombie? Either way, it's awesome that he did it.

      Delete