Wednesday, March 7, 2012

One reason why I think animals are better than humans

That's right. I like animals way better than I do most humans. Why? For a whole bunch of reasons. But the latest reason is because - I've never had an animal hack one of my credit cards. Sigh.

Last year I decided to get the Barnes and Noble MasterCard because every time I racked up 2500 points on the card I'd get a $25 gift card to B&N. Being a reading fanatic (seriously, I get grouchy if I go too long without reading) and a Nook owner, I thought this card would be perfect. And it was... until February 25, 2012.

That day I repeatedly got calls from the company's automated system saying there was a charge on my card that was thought to be fraudulent. It wasn't until later that evening that I was able to look into this. I jumped online to my account and sure enough - there was a $50+ charge that I didn't make. As soon as I logged into my account a box popped up saying they believed this charge was fraudulent and asking me to confirm. I, of course, confirmed that it was not my charge. The box then informed me to call customer service immediately. Which I did. I spoke to a nice guy named Scott who confirmed this charge was marked as fraudulent and that he was freezing my account so no further charges could be made. He was also going to issue new cards to me. Yay! Nice and easy. Things were done.

Yeah, not so much. Why the hell did I think it would be that easy??? Sunday, I logged into my account just to look at it again. I didn't think I'd see any action since it was a Sunday. But, boy oh boy, was I surprised to see ANOTHER charge to my account. This 2nd charge was an identical twin to the one I had called Scott about. Soooo, now I have two charges that equal to over $100. How the hell did this charge go through since my account was frozen? Oh and why is that first charge still there?

Fast forward to today - March 7, 2012 - I've talked to customer service reps in 5 different phone calls between February 25 and today, the latest convo was about 30-40 minutes ago. This chick told me that the charges (including the interest  that has accrued from the fraudulent charges) would be reversed after the fraud department looked into it. It should take 24-48 hours. Really? What's there to look into?? Originally your system was contacting me to let me know there was a "possible fraudulent charge" on my account. Soooo, how much more research needs to be done to my account?

You can bet that as soon as I get the balance on this card paid off (because, yes, I do have quite a few charges that ARE mine on this card), this card is getting cancelled.

So, just one more bit of proof of why I think animals are better than most humans.

3 comments:

  1. That really sucks. I hope you get it sorted out!

    Buy yourself a pet. Just don't use a credit card :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the sympathy. I'm still holding my breath, waiting to see the charges reversed. Sigh. As for buying myself a pet - no thanks! I've already got 9 critters that are driving me up the wall. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I had enough credit for people to steal.

    ReplyDelete