Tuesday, October 30, 2012

Check out my stems

If you've read my past posts, then you know that I like trying different procedures in the hopes of bettering myself.

My latest thing is Sclerotherapy. What the hell is that? It's a treatment for spider veins. For years, I've had those veins running up the back of my legs, making me self conscious. And that sucks because I think my legs are one of my best features. From years of being fairly active (dance, Tae Kwon Do, now Crossfit and running) and of wearing high high heels, I have pretty nice calves. If I say so, myself. And I do.

My veins never stopped me from showing off my legs. But, I was always aware that those hideous blue tracks were there. Over the past few years, I've been looking into having some kind of vein removal treatment and started reading up on the procedures. I actually did contact a few places a couple of years ago, but some reason never followed through. But, I finally decided to go for it.

Earlier this year, I bought a voucher off of Groupon for some cellulite treatments (see, told ya I'm all about trying different procedures) and I liked the doctor's office. They offered vein removal, so during one of my cellulite treatments I talked to the doctor about treating my veins.

As I learned, I'd have to wear compression socks for awhile after my treatments, I thought I'd wait until the weather turned cold so that I could hide those socks under pants.  I'm so glad I waited. It turns out I have to wear thigh high "panty hose" because some the veins that I had treated were above  my knees, so calf high socks wouldn't work.

Wearing the "panty hose" wouldn't be so bad... if I were a delicate flower. But, I'm part ox or some other equally ungraceful beast. Within 24 hours of owning these damned things, I had runs and holes all over them. Sonofa.

Also, it wouldn't be so bad if the people who made these bleeping things understood height differences. The way you select which size you need (out of the standard small, medium, large, X large grouping) is by measuring different parts of your leg - ankle, calf, thigh. Then you read the handy little sizing chart on the packet. Where your measurements fall in that chart is the size you get. Now, please notice that HEIGHT is not one of the measurements.

Here's a picture on the box.
As always, sorry for the blurry picture.
Notice where the top of the stocking stops on the leggy model in this picture. I don't know how tall she is, but I'm 5'4" and the tops of the leggings basically comes up to my girl bits. Very comfortable. Hey. Assholes. I only needed thigh high. Not freaking armpit high. 

But, despite the joy of the compression hose, I am very happy with the results I'm already seeing from my vein treatments. Tomorrow will be one week since I had my first treatment. I go back on November 14th for a check-up and, if needed, to have some veins retreated (yes, it could take a few treatments). 

Now to start figuring out what my next "body project" will be...

No comments:

Post a Comment